Thursday, November 10, 2016

An Italian Gem

Tiramisu
Flavored with a hint of bitterness of the cocoa powder, coated with velvety and rich-buttered texture of the Mascarpone cheese, structured with smooth layers of ladyfingers dipped in coffee, scented with a touch of Rosolio, Tiramisu is unquestionably a palatable piece of art of Italy. When Italian cuisine is mentioned, tiramisu seems to be blurred behind the iconic varieties of Neapolitan Pizza, Lasagna, Ravioli, Tortellini, Maccheroni or the distinguished wine-brands from the region of Tuscany; yet, for me, Tiramisu does not merely carry the exquisite essence of an Italian dessert but also, it is something nostalgic that has been attached to my childhood.
It was a late afternoon, in an Italian cuisine restaurant alongside the Arno River of Florence. After enjoying the best Risotto that I had ever tasted, I was then served a small plate of a layered, creamy dessert with vibrant-red raspberry sauce as decoration. At first, I did not know what was it, but it seemed extremely appealing and delicious with that thick surface of cocoa powder. Observing me perplexed attempting to figure out the plate, the waiter then responded with his Tuscanian accent: “It’s Tiramisu.”
Tiramisu Cup
I then took a scoop of my coffee spoon through that thick buttery Savoiardi layer and tasted this Italian dessert for the first time. Right at the moment, I could already confidently assure that Tiramisu is unlike any dessert I had ever had before; perhaps, the best dessert that I had ever had. The taste was an enchanting symphony of flavors—sweet, sour, and bitter—all combined together. The overwhelmed sweetness of the Savoiardi layer blended with the bitterness of the cocoa powder on top, and balanced out with the sourness of the raspberry sauce, making Tiramisu an extraordinary piece of art.
Even for a boy who does not enjoy anything that has the sense of coffee, Tiramisu is the only exception. And even for a person, who does not enjoy any Western Cuisine as my dad, he did truly love it. Because my parents and I all obsessed with the taste of this exquisite gift from Florence, my mum decided to find the recipe and learn how to prepare it. Surprisingly, it wasn't that complicated that my mum was able to quickly teach me afterward as well. Just a few simple steps of preparing some basics measurements and ingredients—eggs, sugar, cream, Savoiardi, vanilla extract, mascarpone cheese, coffee, and cocoa powder—and Tiramisu is ready to be served.
Savoiardi
My mum and I would usually prepare Tiramisu for Saturday night, so Tiramisu would be done with Sunday’s breakfast for the whole family to have; thus, I tried to remember every particular procedure step and necessary ingredients that would be required to create an ideal Tiramisu. I remembered every time I was sick, my mum would make me Tiramisu as a treat for me, hoping for me to recover from any sickness. And for every day that I had a soccer tournament, I always found a Tiramisu plate sitting on the kitchen table. Even for now, being a boarding student, for every opportunity for me to return to my hometown, I know there will always be a Tiramisu waiting for me when my mom picks me up from the airport. I know the Tiramisu that my mom makes for me cannot compare to the one that restaurants offer; but it has a flavor that always unique in her way of cooking, a flavor of my childhood, and a flavor of the best Tiramisu.

Despite the fact that Tiramisu is not a typical traditional food that would be served during holidays for an ordinary Vietnamese family, for our family, Tiramisu has become a “traditional” cuisine that is indispensable on the table during New Year, Mid-Autumn Festival or just a family gathering.

Tyson Nguyen

24 comments:

  1. OMG!! It looks so delicious, especially the Tiramisu cup . Good pictures, love it!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the font color of your title,and I hope you can bring any of it to my room someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. only if you bring something to my room first

      Delete
  3. tiramisu is the best dessert in the world!!! I will try it next week~ thanks~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BAKING is the thing that I might do it whole life.

      Delete
    2. I know right?!!! Even though, I'm still a beginner at baking or cooking in general haha... But I'm still learning a lot from my mum. Anyways, Tiramisu is definitely not hard to do. So give it a try and share with me the result!

      Delete
  4. I really like your food.I want to eat it.I also like eating Tiramisu.So,I hope to make this delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Lucy! I'm glad we both have the opportunity to try the dessert and love it. I'm sure you can make it!

      Delete
  5. Wow~I like Tiramisu,too.When I was sick,my mom always make a cup of soup,your mom's love is heart warming and special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much Kim! I know right? It is always the best moment when receiving a baked goods from somebody, especially your mom, when you are sick! :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not eaten Tiramisu.But, I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it then! Also, Tiramisu is not difficult to master it. Give it a try! :D

      Delete
  8. It looks yummy,I think to make this is too hard for me,but I still want to try.My mom didnt do any snacks when i sick.so i realy surprise it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These dishes are look delicious.I want to do it by myself.
    Your mother is really good at cooking.Does your mother cook another sweet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! Yes, definitely. Although my mum is a busy women; yet, she still manages to spend her time creating some baked goods such as Brownie, Chocolate Molten Lava, or Cheese Souffle! As well, Tiramisu is not hard to do it either, so why not give it a try? :)

      Delete
  10. I think that Tiramisu is really delicious,too!!
    And I have the same experience as you.
    The introduction you post is awsome!!
    I just can't wait to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your heartening comment! I'm glad that both of us share the same such fascinating and unforgettable experience! :)

      Delete
  11. I think that Tiramisu is really delicious,too!!
    And I have the same experience as you.
    The introduction you post is awsome!!
    I just can't wait to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that Tiramisu is really delicious,too!!
    And I have the same experience as you.
    The introduction you post is awsome!!
    I just can't wait to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that Tiramisu is really delicious,too!!
    And I have the same experience as you.
    The introduction you post is awsome!!
    I just can't wait to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete