Thursday, November 10, 2016

Bad Meatball
            On TV shows, fried meatballs look golden and crispy, so beautiful that everyone wants to bite it. However, it will not always be what people want to happen. Since I am living in the Northwest school dorm, which is far away from my family, I have learned how to cook myself and soon became a super powerful cook. Mostly, I always cook delicious food for myself and my friends. People all over the dorm love my food and always want a bite from it. It seems that everything is in a good mood when I cook food in dorm. However, one day during April, when I tried to deep fry some ground pork into meatballs, a disaster occurred.
            It was a Friday afternoon when I started with my meatball disaster. Before that day, I used to like to eat meatballs. They are juicy and can be eaten with sweet, sour, and spicy sauce, or it can be steamed and eaten with rice. I could always eat two bowls of rice when I was back in China. My nanny is really good at cooking meatballs, and the best cuisine she did was pan fried meatball with egg plant. It was sweet and salty, sour and spicy, I had never eaten better meatballs. After I left China and my nanny, I always wanted to recreate what I ate in China.
            After I came to the US, the first year there was no kitchen at the dorm. Therefore, I stored all my recipe in my head and waited for 11th grade. However, because I got so many other dishes to make, I forgot about the meatball until I made some meatball soup with some leftover ground pork.

            During the day the disaster happened, I found out that there was some leftover ground pork, so I decided to deep fry them into meatballs. I thought that it would be no flavor so I added a ton of salt and pepper and mixed them all together with the meatball, without even drying it after I thawed them (so that the ice stayed inside the meat as water). When I threw them into boiled oil, the water and hot oil effected each other and made some liquid jump out from the pot everywhere. It even made some crazy noise like pilipala pilipala. Furthermore, I left the pot to check my IPad when I heard notification sound. When I went back to the pot, the meatballs were all crunched together and looked dark and hard as rocks due to the fact everything had dried up. When I tried to eat one of the meatball that was not as terrible, I almost cried out when I tasted the saltiness of the meat. It was a horrible dish. Thanks god I had plan B which is making pork belly. The meatballs were nightmares for me. Every time I see meatballs again I would think about this disaster, it was the worst meatball I ever ate.

4 comments:

  1. I usually eat meatballs in IKEA.😂
    So I've never tried by myself before.
    But your introduction really attract me.
    So that I want to make it next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't do it my way hahah
      Make sure you make it into "good" meatball

      Delete
  2. Good job Boyan! The combination of fascinating personal anecdote with detailed imagery makes your post very vivid and lively!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha i love this. piipala piipala! HAHA

    ReplyDelete