Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The Day People Gather with Family
            In China, the biggest and the most important holiday is Spring Festival. People who are busy with their work all go home to their families and have a big meal. This festival is my favorite holidays because I can see all my cousins and get New Year’s money. Since I came to US, it has been three years not spending Spring Festival with my family, but there is another holiday I also have experienced with buddy family here for three years: Thanksgiving.
            Thanksgiving is the closest holiday to Spring Festival that I have experienced in US because dorm will close and my Buddy family will invite me to their house spending time with them. I also love Thanksgiving because people are thankful to everything they got. On Thanksgiving, there are primarily two parts: cooking Thanksgiving dinner and eating it. The primary dishes are turkey, mashed potato, pumpkin and apple pies, and stuffing. Those pies are already cooked at the night before the day, and the hardest dish to prepare is the turkey.

            I always want to help them with cooking, but I am not good at it. Especially the turkey, I cannot even look at the raw turkey, and usually, the father will handle the turkey. The child and I are in charge of snacks, such as place the cheese, crackers, cranberry sauce. I love the delicious hand-made cranberry sauce, which is so different from the sauce in stores because it is more exquisite and smooth. I enjoy eating cracker with cheese and cranberry sauce on top so much. Near the evening, I will help to place plates, knives, and forks and wait for the guests who are usually the other families and good friends coming to the house. The mother will take lots of photos for us and guests. We will also write about what we are thankful for and put it in the turkey shape box. On the dinner, we pass dishes around, and after that, I usually eat both pies with cream. Then we will read all the notes from the turkey box.  Everyone will be so full and so happy, but when we think of the dishes that we need to wash on the day after the dinner, that will be a torture. However, it is still the best day of life in US.

No comments:

Post a Comment